Fire damages home
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:00 pm
The Messenger. 11.19.08
A home in Hornbeak was damaged by fire Tuesday afternoon.
The Whitmore residence at 206 Wallace St. sustained damage in a fire that broke out about 1:15 p.m. Tuesday, according to Hornbeak Fire Chief Bob Reavis.
A resident of the home, who is actually a young trainee on the Hornbeak Volunteer Fire Department, reportedly was asleep and awoke to the sound of a smoke alarm. Reavis said the resident radioed the call to 911 and the fire department responded, with firefighters arriving to find smoke visible and fire located in a bedroom/storage area. The fire was contained to that end of the house.
Hornbeak firefighters were assisted by firefighters from the neighboring Samburg and Troy volunteer fire departments.
Reavis said the home sustained heavy smoke damage throughout, as well as smoke, fire and water damage that were confined to the end of the house where the bedroom was located.
The incident marks the second residential fire on Wallace Street in a one-week period.