Conference to focus on working women's roles
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 8:14 pm
The Messenger 01.12.09
“The Balancing Act of Juggling Life’s Many Roles” will be the theme of the 11th Conference for Working Women from 8:30 a.m.-2:15 p.m. Feb. 27 at the University of Tennessee at Martin’s Boling University Center Duncan Ballroom.
The conference — sponsored by the WestStar Leadership Program, First State Bank and Gibson County Utility District — is designed to appeal to all working women in West Tennessee, whether they are assistants, executives, in management, elected officials or chief executive officers of a company.
Some of the speakers and their topics will include:
• State Sen. Dolores Gresham of Somerville, “Taking Care of Business — Women in Leadership”;
• Ann Hams, Bethel College economic consultant, “You Got To Know When To Hold ’Em, Know When To Fold ’Em — The Economic Crisis”;
• Dr. Kimberly Thornberry, Union University vice president for student services and dean of students, “I Feel The Earth Move Under My Feet — What Do I Do Now?”
• Deborah Varallo, owner, Varallo Public Relations, Nashville, “You Make Me Wanna Shout – But I Can’t Because That’s Not Professional,” and
• Brian Smith, owner of Sideline Physical Therapy & Fitness Center, “Twist & Shout — Without Hurting.”
David Belote, WestStar executive director, will welcome the group and Mary Kate Ridgeway, UT extension director from Henry County and a member of the WestStar Class of 2001, will lead the conference.
Lunch will be served from 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Door prizes will be awarded throughout the conference.
The deadline to register is Feb. 20. Forms may be mailed to WestStar, UT Martin, 321 Administration Building; faxed to 881-7019; or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If registering via e-mail, participants should include their name, business, complete address and phone number. If registering for two people, make sure to include all information on both registrants.
The fee is $35 per person or $60 for two and includes continental breakfast and lunch. Make checks payable to WestStar.
For more information, contact Virginia Grimes, WestStar coordinator, at (731) 881-7298.
“The Balancing Act of Juggling Life’s Many Roles”, Conference for Working Women, University of Tennessee at Martin, WestStar Leadership Program