No injuries reported in The Reserve fire
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 3:16 pm
As quickly as the structure fire was called into the department Tuesday evening at The Reserve apartments on Peach Street, it was extinguished.
Martin Fire Chief Russell Schwahn credits the sprinkler system in place at the apartment complex that resulted in minimal damage.
“Thank God for sprinklers. If it wasn’t for a sprinkler system out there, they would not have a Building 100.”
The call came in approximately 9:10 Tuesday evening. Within four minutes, the MFD responded with 17 personnel, according to the report.
Once the complex was evacuated, the department entered a second story apartment that was on fire.
The Martin Police Department confirmed there was a visible fire in the kitchen of the apartment.
According to the report, as the crew entered the room they found a pot on the stove and a vent-a-hood that was on fire. Within a few minutes, the sprinkler system had extinguished the fire.
Schwahn said the lower level of the apartment complex sustained minor water damage, but no injuries were reported as a result of the fire.
The damage at The Reserve on Peach Street was estimated at $10,000.
The MFD was on the scene for approximately one hour.