Fire destroys rural Martin home
A house fire that ignited early Tuesday morning destroyed a rural home on the outskirts of Martin. The Martin Fire Department was called to the scene at 2:27 a.m. on Tuesday. When firemen arrived on the scene, the home of William Snow at 2695 Bible Union Rd. in Martin was “fully involved,” according to MFD Chief Russell Schwahn.
Schwahn said the suspected cause of the fire was a shorted wire in the garage.
“Thankfully, the people that lived there got out of the house and no one was injured,” the chief said Tuesday afternoon.
After spending two and a half hours on the scene, personnel with the MFD, Dresden and Latham fire departments managed to extinguish the fire. The department was later dispatched to the house after it reignited when the second story collapsed later that morning. The Sharon Fire Department provided mutual aid with personnel and a tanker.
Schwahn said the couple fortunately has a daughter that lives nearby and the family was able to get shelter there.
WE CARE Ministries is also providing assistance. Betty Baker, director of WE CARE Ministries, said community members wishing to help with the Snows’ immediate needs or provide monetary donations can contact her at 587-6257.